Sunday, September 19, 2010

Southwestern Meatloaf


This is a really easy go-to recipe but packs a ton of flavor. I will make this meatloaf about 2-3 times a month. It's not your mom's meatloaf-this baby has a bit of a kick and depending on how much southwest seasoning you put in it very well could knock you on your tush.


Ingredients:

1/2 C bread crumbs, any that you have on hand
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
3 large cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp of onion powder (or you could use an onion too)
1 tsp (or more if you want it a bit spicier) of Southwestern seasoning
1/4 cup of BBQ suace (I use honey flavored)
1 pound of lean ground beef
2 slices of bread

First preheat the oven to 350 and spray the inside of a loaf pan with cooking spray.
Second, in a large bowl combine the the bread crumbs, the beef, the diced peppers, the garlic and the seasonings. Mix them well, I use my hands to incorporate all the ingredients together.
Third, in the bottom of the loaf pan put your two slices of bread (this is to soak up any extra fat from the beef). We always have left over heals because neither of us wants to eat the heal; they come in real handy for this recipe.


Then you put the meat and veggie mixture into the loaf pan and pour your BBQ sauce on top.



Bake it in the oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Serve it along side mashed potatoes and sweet corn or seasonal veggies or onion rings. I think it would be absolutely perfect with Sweet Potato Fries but I don't think I can convince The Hubs to eat them. Oh well, one battle has already been won since I have diced up quite a serving of veggies in the meatloaf. This would be great for those picky kids that won't eat their vegetables too.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cassie, your meatloaf looks yummy! I was cruising around the internet tonight & found this cool blog that I think you will love. You seem to have a similar style as her & she loves a good deal.
    http://roomtoinspire.blogspot.com/
    See you soon!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass