Sunday, March 27, 2011

A tulle skirt

This fairy skirt or dancing skirt was really simple, and inexpensive, to make. I was quite shocked. There are obviously better options out there than mine but I don't sew and this would be super easy for the rest of you out there that also don't sew and not to mention way cheaper than buying one. I made this skirt for a fairy princess named Isa. I think she is going to love it! I can't wait to see her dance and twirl in her new skirt.  

First I picked up my supplies: elastic ($1.29 at Hob Lob) and three rolls of 25ft tulle (in cream, purple and green) for $2.99 ea roll. To start I cut the elastic the desired length; I eyeballed it because the model wasn't here to measure.



The cream tulle will be the base so I cut it a bit longer than the other colors. I didn't measure; again just eyeball. I took each piece of cream tulle and tied it on in a knot around the elastic waistband.


Then I cut the green tulle a little shorter than the cream and began the same process of tying it in knots around the elastic. I tried to alternate every two or three cream knots and then insert the green tulle. The beauty of this is it doesn't have to be perfect and it will still turn out wonderful. For the final color, purple, I cut it a bit shorter than the green. This allows for a more fuller look in the skirt. I placed the purple tulle throughout where I saw fit.


Doesn't it look absolutely full and gorgeous!

It is hard to get the idea of colors because the ones I chose were pastel and my camera doesn't pick up on the subtleties. I enhanced the colors with Picasa so that you could see. In the below picture you can see that each piece of tulle is simply tied onto the elastic with a knot.


I don't have a dress form so I decided to model this on my leg. It gives an idea of how it is supposed to look (sorta). It is still see through so I recommend that leggings or shorts be worn underneath.



There have been many beliefs on fairies and many stories. They were known as "people of peace"; they were ethereal and sometimes angelic. My most favorite belief comes J.M. Barrie's novel 'The Little White Bird'. It said "When the first baby laughed for the first time, his laugh broke into a million pieces, and they all went skipping about. That was the beginning of fairies."

I just think that is a lovely thought but no matter what you believe there is no denying that this skirt will bring joy to any girl that loves to play and dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass