Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sprinkler System

Hi there! I know it has been forever but it has been an absolute circus at work. I mean seriously, bring out the big tent, call out the elephants and clowns...c.i.r.c.u.s- CIRCUS!! I really hope you understand.

Anyway I am so excited to share this post with you. The Hubs and I have been dreaming of a sprinkler system for over a year and this year is finally the right time to put one in. We haveclose to an acre of a backyard, for real. It is GINORMOUS and we (okay, I give myself WAY TOO much credit, The Hubs does all of this) are tired of lugging the hose and sprinkler head around the entire area.

We started pricing this project out and I think at one point if we were to contract this out it would cost us between $3k-$5k. Yes, that is thousands of dollars! Eeek! The Hubs has never put a system in but he and I were both confident in his handy abilities that this would be a piece of cake. Mmmm, cake! :)

Typically I don't assist on these large projects but after he put in the valves, crawled into the pit of darkness (aka 'under our house') and hooked up the water line I wanted to contribute; afterall this was my house too and I was definitely benefiting from this upgrade. It was probably only a matter of time before The Hubs was too fed up with dragging the hose around and made me suggested that I do it, and let's be perfectly honest here-that wasn't happening. :)
First we laid out the flags, these will be where the sprinkler heads will go. We picked out 50 foot heads so we measured them 45 feet apart from one another to ensure that there was plenty of water coverage.

Next The Hubs dug the ditches for the pipe to go into. Then we laid out the pipe; this stuff was a tiny bit difficult because of how it was rolled onto itself. I may have cursed and stomped my feet just a few times...maybe.




Once the pipe was laid into the ditches, we hooked it up to the valves. Oh yah, I forgot to mention-The Hubs put in the valves and built a wooden box to go over it.

I had every intention of this project being a dual effort but (head held in shame) I didn't do the rest. The Hubs did of course; I am not positive what I was doing at that time but it clearly wasn't executing the remaining part of the project. Sorry Hon!

The Hubs attached the heads, crimped them off, set the head spray and filled in the ditches. It's ALIVE!!! woohoo!



This time next year our yard should be plush and super green; it will be the envy of the town. Okay, maybe not so much but it will be plush and full and we will definitely utilize this space more for entertaining. What projects have you completed around the house this summer? Have you worked with your spouse before and does he/she always do the work or is it a true dual DIY project?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass