Sunday, November 7, 2010

Winterize

It's getting to be that time of year...the time when the snow starts to fly and the ground stays frozen. We have been prepping our home, one project at a time or two if they are easy.

Each year, as homeowners, we know what needs to be done without making a list but there are also other items and/or tasks that require a list, at least for me-I would lose my head if it weren't attached. So I made the list and even included the items I know we will do year after year by habit. I find that crossing items off the list is cathartic and well, for me, the more I cross off the better I feel so I include everything. I know that this sounds silly, see aforementioned items that don't require a list, but this process works for me. :)

Our list included blowing out the sprinkler system. The Hubs did this one evening after work. He hooked up his compressor to the valves and let it rip. This is also a great time to pick up any yard debris. We had plenty from the construction of the shop but for most this is just leaves, twigs and the occasional piece of garbage.

Halloween night we knew we would have the dog with us so it was the perfect time to finally get rid of all the spiders. A couple weeks leading to this event I must have killed at least 10 creepy crawlers. Blech!

Also on the list was stocking the pantry. Since it is that time of year where there are more friend and family get togethers I like to be sure I have plenty of items on hand to whip up something at a moments notice. I restock all of my baking items; the sugar, brown sugar, flour and spices. I also make sure we have plenty of rice, beans, pasta, soups and vino (very important) on hand as well.

This is also a great time to take another look at the pantry and reorganize if you need to. I definitely need to so I will take my cluttered pantry and make it more efficient. You can check out my last post here.

Now for the fun part...winterizing the home is not just about the "chores" we must do to prepare for winter but also making the home more "winter" friendly. I do so by bringing out my candles and lighting them more frequently.

Also I put out warm, fuzzy throw blankets to take the chill off on a cold night. I think it overall warms the house and makes it inviting.

Next on my list is tackling my closet. The picture below is not of my closet-I wish! What I like to do is stash away my spring/summer clothes and make room for the heavy, bulky sweaters and coats. I don't know about you but I certainly do not have enough room in the closet to store all seasons at once.

Better Homes and Gardens

There are still several items on the do to list; for instance, change the batteries in the smoke detectors, put mulch on flower beds, put the patio furniture away and wrap it up, change light bulbs but for now I am feeling pretty good about crossing off items on the list.

Once it is all finished I can focus on Christmas and all that it entails. :) I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass