Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Coasting through life


Good day ya'll! I made coasters today with left over white tile, scrapbook paper and Mod Podge. It's easy and they make terrific gifts, which is exactly what I intend to do with these.

First gather your supplies; they do require a bit more than the three items I mentioned above.

Supplies:

4X4 tile (only 16 cents ea at Home Depot)
scrapbook paper
Mod Podge
a paint brush or foam brush works as well
either felt backs or bumpers (like I have); you can find these in the home section of your hardware store or even Fred Meyers, which is where I located mine.
sand paper, I used 150 grit
and Crystal Clear







Then cut your scrapbook paper to the size of the tile with a little bit of overhang. Sweep on your Mod Podge to the top of the tile and lay the paper on top. Smooth out the wrinkles but be careful not to move the paper too much or it will no longer cover your tile surface. Let these dry completely and then you will sweep Mod Podge on top of the paper as well.

Let these dry for a couple hours. Once they are dry then you will sand the edges a bit, not too hard because you don't want to run the risk of ripping your paper. I layed my tile on its side, gripped it in my left hand and went over the edge with the sandpaper, as if I were bending the paper down the side of the tile. Repeat on all four sides. Be sure to dust your tiles off when you are done before moving on to the next step.

Then in a very well ventilated area, lay down your tarp or newspaper (being sure that you take into account over spray). Then in a sweeping motion, starting off of the tile and then "sweeping" across cover your coasters with the Crystal Clear. This product creates a glossy effect and it will not yellow your paper, oh and the best part it is water resistant so it is perfect for coasters.

This will dry in about 10-15 minutes but you do not want to handle for about 2 hours, at least that is what my directions said on the can. Read your product and see what it says and then follow their guidelines.

Here is the really fun part. Place the felt back on the bottom of the tile so it doesn't scuff your furnitue and now that they are dry, completely, you can stack them and tie a pretty ribbon around them. I love them! I think the recepients will be very pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass