Friday, April 30, 2010

Off to the Races

Lately horses have been on my mind; maybe its because we live in the country, maybe it's because I desperately want to tag along with The Hubs when he goes riding or it could be that we are finally at a point where we can buy me a horse and tonight we are looking at one. Whichever the reason, it got me thinking about the Kentucky Derby. I have always dreamed of attending the Kentucky Derby (it's tomorrow folks, tune in) and wearing a fancy, flouncy, ginormous hat but haven't made that dream a reality yet.


If you, like me, have always wanted to attend this prestigous race but haven't (or maybe you have-lucky duck!) you can still throw yourself, and your friends, a fabulous soiree geared toward this race. First things first though, get yourself an incredibly, beautifully BIG hat like this one.

Me personally, I like how the brim is wide and flops over in front of one eye (and it doesn't hurt that it is in pink!); Gorg! Next is a beautiful dress or dapper suit for you fella's; definitely needs to be fitting for spring. It looks so fresh and bright. Love it!



Now onto the menu, you can't have a Derby party without a Mint Julep. I personally do not care for them but if I secretly make me a mojito (what it still has mint in it-ha!) and put it in a non clear glass who would be able to tell?!?!

Recipe:
  • 8 mint leaves
  • 1 Tbsp of sugar
  • 2 ounces of bourbon
  • splash of simple syrup; cooled completely (1 cup water/1 cup sugar brought to a boil until sugar is dissolved)
  • crushed ice
  • sprig of mint for garnish
Put mint leaves and sugar in the bottom of a tall glass and with a wooden spoon (or I find the handle works well too) crush the ingredients. Fill the glass with the crushed ice and pour in the bourbon; top it off with the splash of simple syrup. With your spoon, stir the cocktail and garnish with the sprig of mint.

No one can have a party without some amazing food. In keeping with tradition, here are some past time favorites. 

Grits (who better than the Southern Queen herself, Paula Deen, to turn to for grits)
Derby Pie (I have had this and it is phenomenal)

It's a bit too late to host a party on such short notice this year but maybe I will be able to make this happen next year. If you have ever had a Derby party or known of someone that has I would love to hear all the amazing details and see some pics. Happy Friday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass