Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Easter fun with the family


I started this post Easter morning but quickly ran out of time and I didn't want to keep the Lord waiting so I busted a move to mass.

In the Easter spirit, the commercialized spirit with bunnies, candies and egg hunts, I decided to make Easter egg rice crispy treats. All it called for was 2 tbsp of butter, 38-40 marshmellows and 6 cups of rice cereal. I choose to use fruity pebbles because I want them to be fun and colorful.


First spray your mixing bowl with cooking spray and add your rice cereal. Then melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a pot on low and add your marshmellows. Continue stirring until all the marshmellows are melted; this took about 10-15 minutes.

Add this mix to your cereal and stir with a spoon until it is all incorporated. I then wet my hands slightly and picked up chunks of the mix and formed into egg shapes. I layed them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and put them in the fridge to harden.



I wanted to make the packaging for these treats a little special but with so much going on all I could muster was ziplock baggies. I don't think the kids will notice too much.

This year Easter is extra special because our nephew's birthday falls on this glorious day. After mass we will be celebrating both Easter and a birthday with the family. I was in charge of the cake; I sure hope he likes it. I decided to go outside of the box and try something I have never tried before.

I made two 9 inch round cakes from a box of devils food cake mix. Once cooled I sliced off the tops of both to make sure that they were even and weren't going to topple on me. Then I mixed instant vanilla pudding with some cool whip (I eyeballed it until I thought it looked right) and then sandwiched this in between the two layers of cake.

Then I took the can of fluffy white frosting and frosted the entire cake while it was on the cake stand.


Once I was done frosting the fun part started...themes and decorations. Last year the nephew was really into construction/machinery/cars etc and I was sure hoping this year would be the same because I went with a construction themed cake.

I broke up Oreo cookies and made a "dirt pile" and then I put a dump truck on the cake and wrote Happy Birthday. Now I am a complete amateur but I do believe this a super cute cake if I do say so myself.




Next time I bake a cake though I think I will try my hand at buttercream frosting because the pudding was a little too "wet" and it made it difficult to frost the entire cake.

Isn't this so adorable though! The dump truck is actually dumping "dirt". I love it and I believe everyone else did also. I hope you had a terrific Easter holiday and I'm deeply sorry that this post was incredily delayed, for those who have been dying to see the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass