Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kick up your feet and relax!!

First I would like to say that we received our first snowfall of the season on Friday. It was beautiful and short lived (thank goodness). I have to wonder though, if I brought it on; I may be the reason for the snow and the slight panic in everyone's eyes. You see I have been secretly, well not any more, listening to Christmas music for a week now, I have been picking up Christmas items and my head is swimming with ideas to decorate for the holiday. I am even going to start one Christmas project tonight-GASP! I can't help it; I love Christmas! There is something so magical about the season and I can't wait, although I could do without the snow this year. Last year was plenty--2 ft in 2 days is INSANE!

It's been a long time coming, I have promised you multiple times and I do not want to disappoint. Here is the foot stool folks; are you excited? I am! I think it turned out great considering that I had to start over about 3 times.

First I bought this at Ross for only $14.99, as previously mentioned. It was alright but I knew it could be better. The first step in redesigning this stool was to get rid of the ugly, dirty, mud looking color on the base. I spray painted it "glossy" black. I would show you pictures but I am a horrible photographer (I think I've mentioned that before) so you will just need to take my word for it.

I then took a trip to Joanne's Fabrics and picked up some faux leather. I loved the color; it was rich, warm and I figured the fabric would be easy to wipe down considering my feet would be relaxing on this every day at work.


So I layed the original cushion on top of the faux leather and cut it to size. I then started to staple the sides of the material to the original cushion. I used my husband's compressor, my father in-laws staple gun (thanks a million!) and his staples.





Now here is where it went a tiny bit downhill...I thought it's like wrapping a Christmas gift (ahhh, Christmas) and anyone that knows me, knows that I don't wrap gifts. I am terrible but for some reason today I ignored that tiny fact and proceeded on my path. I started it over 3 times, as mentioned earlier. I gave up, only for a little while to hang out with the nephew that came over to ride the 4-wheeler and play with trucks---I swear, I cross my heart, and came back to it later. I soon realized that I needed to enlist the help of the "big guns" aka "muscles" aka "The Hubs". So he was pulling the material tight around the existing form and I was stapling. I must give credit where credit is due, although he would deny helping me, he really was why I came back to finish it. I cannot tell a lie, I was ready to throw in the towel. That tid bit about the nephew, although very fun and I was excited he got to come over the "farm" and play, was going to be my excuse for not finishing this project along with a multitude of others that I would invent over the course of days, weeks or months. I am such a slacker and a quitter-holy moly!

All that was next was to put it back on it's stand and screw in the frame to the cushion. Easy peasy, now that the husband helped with the hard part.







Before:


After:




I love it and better yet, my feet are going to love it even more. Whoever said you cannot be comfortable and relaxed at work never redesigned a foot stool! I'm off to start my Christmas projects---sshhh, we don't want it to snow again.

1 comment:

  1. Cassie--I love the footstool you redid! I'm excited to have you re-do my dining room chairs--you are a pro! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass