Thursday, February 11, 2010

For the love of chocolate


Valentine's Day is just right around the corner and I normally do not celebrate for a few reasons which are neither here nor there but I do love to bake for any reason whatsoever. With that said, I decided to bake Oreo Truffles for my girlfriends but here's the best part...there is no baking involved! Score! And there is only 3 ingredients needed! Double Score!

First you take a 3/4 package of Oreo's and crush them into fine pieces. Then mix the crushed cookies into 8oz of cream cheese, softened.


Roll into bite size balls. Then in the microwave melt 2 pkg of Baker's chocolates or 1 1/2 bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips (your preference) for 30 seconds, stir and repeat at 15 second intervals until your chocolate is completely melted. Do not overcook or burn; trust me it doesn't smell pretty and it definitely doesn't taste good either. You can also use a double boiler (I don't have one-sad!) or rig one with a bowl over a pot of boiling water; I used the microwave this time to save on clean-up.

Dip your Oreo cream cheese balls into the chocolate; you can use a couple of forks (carefully) to move them around so that your fingers aren't covered in chocolate. Hey you may love the fact that your fingers are covered in chocolate but not me; I would be too tempted to lick them and that is just unsanitary.... unless I keep them all for myself. Hmmm...wait, NO!

Once your creation is dipped in chocolate, place them on a wax paper covered baking sheet and sprinkle with the topping of your choice. I was going to use red sprinkles in honor of the upcoming holiday but after raiding the pantry I only found green so I left mine plain. After you apply your topping (or not) then put the baking sheet into the fridge to cool the chocolate.
Please make a note not to let your chocolate cool in the process of rolling in chocolate; it must remain very warm or your candies will look like this...

EWWWW! Not pretty! But The Hubs will eat them

Now that they are cooled carefully place them into the wrapping/packaging of your choice. You don't want to handle them too much because the chocolate will melt from your body heat.  I hope my girlfriends love these candies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass