Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mm Modge Podge

I've never used Modge Podge before but I figured it was about time, don't you. A few months back I bought 2 big M's (2.99 ea) at Michaels and I was going to spray paint them black and put one on my bathroom shelves (when they are finally built) and the other in another space to be determined later. I also found an "M" magnet (.79) at Michaels last weekend but it was quite beat up. I am in love with monograms but who isn't, right.

I decided to bust out the Modge Podge and tackle my fears head on. I took my magnet and 1 of the big M's and set out on the dining room table.
Crucial supplies:
scrapbook paper
paint brush
Modge Podge
exacto knife
object, in this case the "M's"
Skittles

Yes! Skittles are critical here...or at least they are for me. I was taking on a new adhesive product that I have never worked with and it called for a little candy and happiness in case this was a big fat flop!

First I put a thin layer of Modge Podge on the "M's" and then I layed my scrapbook paper over top. I pressed the paper into the glue and smoothed out the ripples. Then I plopped myself on the couch and ate Skittles (you can choose any other activity in this place) while the glue dried. I gave it about 20 minutes just to be safe.

I then flipped the object over so the scrapbook paper was facing down and began carefully taking my exacto knife to the edge of the paper where it meets up with the object.
Here is the "m" magnet on our fridge; right below the picture of our dog, Maude. How fitting, right!


The other one I tried to put on our hutch-not great! Then I tried it in the kitchen on a side countertop we have-still not great! Then I remembered that the CD/DVD shelf has a major gap between accessories since I took the Christmas stuff down and I decided to prop it against the clock. Perfect! Now I just need a couple low candles or tealight holders and this will be done.

It's a little rough looking but hey it was my first time so I am going to cut myself a little slack here. Besides if everything was always perfect I think I would get bored. So what do you think? Isn't Modge Podge the greatest!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Drop me a line...I love comments. XOXO ~Cass